Gupta Evans and Associates, PC, a quickly growing San Diego boutique litigation law firm, has an immediate opening for an experienced litigation attorney to join the Practice. Gupta Evans is a thriving civil litigation and bankruptcy practice, with a strong emphasis in real estate, corporate and insolvency matters. The Practice is located in downtown San Diego and prides itself on offering infrastructure and a supportive culture.
The ideal candidate will have a minimum of 2 years of civil litigation experience, be licensed to practice in California and have a background in real estate and/or business disputes. This is an opportunity for an attorney to join the Practice, create his or her own environment and actively shape the growth of something special. This is also a unique chance to become an equity partner in a growing practice within 3 – 5 years.
Proven skills in writing, analysis, oral advocacy and research are essential. The Attorney will have the opportunity to be involved in every aspect of litigation and must be able to handle a case at all stages, including responding to demand letters, drafting complaints, conducting depositions, coordinating discovery, drafting legal research memos, motions, briefs and declarations, attending hearing and providing oral argument, and trying cases under the supervision of Senior Attorneys.
The Practice offers base salary with benefits and an attorney bonus structure beginning after six months. Salaries are commensurate with experience. The Practice also provides paid vacation, paid health insurance, participation in the firm’s 401K matching plan. Gupta Evans makes every effort to build a positive work environment for all members of the team including social activities both inside and outside the workplace. A more detailed look at the Practice including areas of expertise, values, and overall client philosophy can be found at www.SoCal.law.
To apply, please submit resume, a writing sample, and salary requirements to Michael Covington at: email@example.com.
Detailed Position Description:
- Initial meeting with potential client, including setting expectation and providing a detailed timeline of projected events and anticipated hurdles/
- Draft initial demand letters and pre-litigation correspondence
- Draft initial Complaint based on client interviews
–Manage Control of Client Matters
- Setting and managing client expectation (budgets and outcomes)
- Adhering to deadlines (responsive pleadings (e.g. demurrers) / answer / Motions for Summary Judgment / Discovery / Cutoffs)
- Developing case strategy with Senior Attorneys, including budgets and discovery plans
- Maintain excellent communication with clients
- Gather facts and perform research related to the particular Motion
- Draft pleadings responsive to Complaint (e.g. Answer, Motion to Strike, Demurrer), Motions For Summary Judgment, Trial-Related Motions
- Meet and confer with opposing counsel as needed
- Attend hearings and orally argue Motions as needed
- Draft and propound basic written discovery
- Coordinate and conduct expert witness discovery
- Defend and conduct depositions of party, lay and expert witnesses
- Discovery-related Motion practice
–Research and Writing
–Attend Meditations and prepare for the same
–Trial preparation and assistance during trials
–Post-litigation matters and judgment enforcement
Bankruptcy Matters (5%)
- Client Intake: review client requirements for bankruptcy qualification, initial appointment
- Attend 341 Hearings if Necessary
Marketing and Business Development (15%):
- Business development is an essential component to growth and becoming a partner. While the Practice does not hold significant expectations for business development in the Associate’s first year, a path to partnership will include a business development component.
- The Practice will provide resources and tools to help the Associate develop a custom business development plan that works best with the particular Associate’s strengths
- Associate will have an opportunity to draft and post articles and blog entries to the Practice’s website